Can you pay my rent or utilities?

We connect you to a case manager who helps you to apply for assistance. Fremont Family Coalition is not a service provider instead we connect those needing assistance with programs/intiatives that provide it. The Central Navigator is responsible for making the connections.

How do I contact a Central Navigator to get help with rent or utilities?

Please call 402-721-4157 or email referrals@fremontunitedway.org for assistance.

Do you provide food for people in need?

We do not have food at this location but we do have information for all community programs that provide food for those in need. Please check out our food resource calendar for pantry/food bank opening days and hours as well as contact information if it is after business hours.

How does the partnership with Fremont Area United Way work?

Fremont Family Coalition and Fremont Area United Way work in tandem to help community members as needed. Fremont Family Coalition does not hold its own 501 c3. Utilizing the Fremont Area United Way as the fiscal backbone for the Fremont Family Coalition allows us to partner together closely and help as many as we can.

We’d love to hear from you!